Currently, there are five units through which a student can select the subject after appearing in the admission exams. These exams are very competitive as the best students from this country appear here to admit themselves. Department of Computer Science and Engineering in University of Dhaka, popularly known as CSE DU, is under Faculty of Engineering and Technology, and interested students must appear in the Ka (A) unit exam for the admission. Currently, there are 60 seats in CSE DU.
To appear in the admission exam of a session, a student must fulfill the criteria of one of the following categories:
- Passed in the HSC exam in Science or Agricultural Science from any of the education board of Bangladesh
- Passed in the Alim exam from Madrasa board
- Passed in the A-level or equivalent exam with science background
A student can appear the exam of a session only if he/she has appeared in the HSC/equivalent exam in the same year. For example, to appear the admission exam for session 2015-16, a student must appear in any of the three aforementioned exams in the year 2015. Moreover, the minimum requirement for appearing in the admission exam is 8.0 by summing up the students’ SSC and HSC CGPAs after excluding the 4th subject.
After the admission exam, a merit list will be announced based on the score of the exam and the summation of credits of SSC and HSC exams. Note that, a student can be admitted in the department of Computer Science and Engineering based on the students’ merit position and two requirements that the student must separately get 18 in both the Physics and Mathematics in his/her admission exam.
However, the admission requirements are changed over years and are published in the university website. Please visit Dhaka University Admission Page for details about the admission of the upcoming session.
Master of Science (MS)
According to the rules of University of Dhaka, students who earned their BSc degree from this department can be admitted in the MS program.
Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
For admission to the MPhil program a candidate should fulfil the following two criteria (A and B):
- The candidate must have either one of the following:
- 4-years BSc (Hons) degree
- 3-years BSc (Hons) and 1-year MS degree
- 2-years BSc degree and 2-years MS degree
- The candidate must have at least 2nd class/division with minimum 50% marks in all the examination*.
*In case of CGPA system, the candidate must have the CGPA greater or equal to 3.5 in the scale of 5 and a CGPA greater or equal to 3 in the scale of 4 in all the exams from SSC/equivalent till Hons/MS.
After fulfilling the above criteria and submitting the certificates of the degrees, a candidate can collect the respective form from Education-1 (Shikhkha-1) of Registrar building. After filling the form properly, the candidate should submit it in the department. The departmental academic committee will then refer the application to a corresponding meeting. Based on the recommendation of the Board or Advanced Studies, if the decision is approved in the Academic Committee meeting and the supervisor’s quota is available, the candidate can be admitted in the department.
The applicant should submit the application form with signature from the Provost of the hall in which the applicant is interested to be attached. It should be noted that, the applicant cannot be attached in the hall from which s/he has completed his/her graduation. If the application has earned his/her BSc/MS degrees from Private Universities or Universities from abroad, before the application for admission, the applicant should first apply for an equivalence of his/her degrees from University’s central Equivalence Committee.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
For admission in PhD, a candidate must have either one of the following:
- MPhil degree
- 4-Year BSc/ BSc (Hons) degree with 1-year MS degree having following requirement:
- Minimum second class/division (with at least 50% marks) in all the exam of the applicant’s student life. In case of CGPA system, the candidate must have the CGPA greater or equal to 3.5 in the scale of 5 and a CGPA greater or equal to 3 in the scale of 4 in all the exams from SSC/equivalent till Hons/MS.
- 3- Year BSc (Hons) degree with 1-year MS degree having following requirements:
- Minimum second class/division (with at least 50% marks) in all the exam of the applicant’s student life. In case of CGPA system, the candidate must have the CGPA greater or equal to 3.5 in the scale of 5 and a CGPA greater or equal to 3 in the scale of 4 in all the exams from SSC/equivalent till Hons/MS. Other qualification and conditions will be applied for the admission in PhD.
- The applicant must have at least two years teaching experiences in the undergraduate level and at least two years experiences in research or two years work experience in a govt/private/autonomous/semi-autonomous organization.
- The applicant must have at least two published research articles in renowned journals.
After showing the MPhil certificate or the certificates of all the exams, the applicant can collect the form from registrar building. Then filling the form appropriately and collecting the recommendation from the proposed supervisor, department’s academic committee, PhD subcommittee, faculty meeting, the applicant should submit the form for the consideration in meeting of Board of Advanced Studies. The academic council will approve the admission upon receiving recommendation from the Board of Advanced Studies.